Launch Your Adult Child Parent Coaching
Set boundaries, hold expectations, support accountability
If you are a parent of an adult child who has challenges achieving the tasks of life needed to move towards independence, you may feel frustrated, lost and confused.
Parenting complex adult children is tough in many ways. We may question our adult child’s choices, and we may doubt our parenting. We can be puzzled by our adult child’s difficulties with solving problems and being flexible.
We want to interact with them in an affirming manner that is supportive towards their independence. At the same time, it can be rocky to navigate while our adult child is living with us, or being financially dependent on us. This can be isolating for us, because family, friends, teachers and acquaintances may not understand our challenges.
Does this sound like you?
- I worry that unless I wake my son for work, he’ll be late and lose his job. How’s he going to cope on his own?
- My adult daughter can’t seem to keep track of her money. What’s my role in helping her to manage this?
- He sits around all day playing video games. When is he going to do get around to being more productive and what can I do to support him?
- I can’t get her to help out with household chores. She thinks I’m taking advantage of the fact that she lives with us.
- He hasn’t been able to find steady work and he just got fired again. What can we do to help him?
- How do I get her to listen without coming across like I’m interfering?
- He’s saving his money but only because he’s living with us. I feel like we’re stuck.
- I’m starting to feel resentful of other families who have kids her age who are off on their own now.
- I feel like I’m failing as a parent.
Coaching to Launch Your Adult Child is a combination of training and coaching that helps you make personalized strategies that fit your unique situation in your family. You reconnect to your adult child so that decisions, boundaries and expectations are communicated without judgment.
As your coach, I understand ADHD, its related challenges, and the overwhelming issues you face parenting your complex adult child. Together we develop a coaching approach to make choices, take action and hold your family accountable for the change you want to see. You experience the benefits of effective communication that help you help your family develop resilience, problem-solve, and overcome obstacles.
A Coach-Approach to Launch Your Adult Child will help you to:
- Develop goals and expectations so that your adult child can move forward with actively gaining skills towards becoming self-sufficient.
- Collaborate regarding your adult child’s responsibilities to allow for your adult child to earn his or her living situation.
- Determine what motivates you and your child for change to occur, to bring out the best in you and your family.
- Recognize and hold to your boundaries and set mutually agreed-upon consequences so that expectations are met and followed.
- Let go of what’s unimportant so you can stick to what’s important to your family system.
- Make decisions calmly and consistently, to prioritize commitments.
- Ease conflicts and problem-solve more effectively.
The coach approach for launching your adult child gives you tools for moving from surviving to thriving. You reconnect to your adult child with targeted support and guidance that you can apply to right away. As your adult child moves towards independence, you and your family experience the a peaceful home and a successful adult child with less stress.
As your coach, you can expect me to:
- Draw from my experience in educational therapy, professional productivity, ADHD coaching, and parent coaching.
- Listen patiently with a nonjudgmental ear.
- Guide you through decisions.
- Share knowledge to help you move forward with confidence.
- Keep our sessions strictly confidential.
- Offer a fresh perspective on challenges and opportunities.
It is not what you do for your children but what you’ve taught your children to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings. – Ann Landers
Call 847-757-8780 or Book Now and
we'll talk about what's right for you!