ADHD Adult Coaching
Set priorities, manage emotions, improve memory
You or your partner were diagnosed with ADHD, perhaps as you recognized some of your child’s characteristics in yourself. You wonder how you can help your child when you're struggling with managing yourself. The limitless distractions of managing your child, your family, your work, and the business of daily life is exhausting and challenging. Planning, prioritizing, and decision-making are difficult, as you are in charge of organizing not only yourself, but your active family. Time management and family calendaring can be endless and complicated, as you balance each of your needs.
ADHD is not a deficit in attention, but rather a difference in how you allocate your attention. Even though ADHD is the officially correct term, if you do have the “H,” being the “ADHD predominantly hyperactive,” it looks very different in adults than in children. Sleep can be boring and it’s difficult to settle down, so you decide you’re a night owl, and stay up until 2 am. Or, you may have difficulty regulating your attention and focus, trying to get your kids out the door by 7 am for school - - Do you have that report you need for work? Do your kids have their lunches? Do they have their homework in their backpacks? What did you decide you are making for dinner? Where did you put your keys??
ADHD is a neurobehavioral condition that involves challenges such as inattentiveness, impulsivity, and/or hyperactivity. You may have difficulty managing your emotions and enduring the frustration managing your relationships. The sheer force of your resilience and originality enables you to get by. At the same time, you’re overwhelmed by too many commitments, last minute deadlines, strained relationships, a sense of underachievement, and relentless stress.
Does this sound like you or someone you love?
- I have a lot of creative ideas, but my racing thoughts shut me down.
- My mind wanders to more interesting things than what I need to be doing.
- I’m overwhelmed by the chaos in my life. I feel out of control.
- I can’t wrap my head around large projects. I put them off until the deadline is looming.
- I can over-focus and get stuck, making it difficult for me to move forward.
- I’m constantly misplacing my keys and my phone, especially when I’m scrambling to get out the door.
- I know I have to decide about letting go of things, but everything is so important and meaningful to me.
- I’m afraid of making a mistake. It can be difficult to make decisions that are important to me.
- I want more control my over my time.
- I have so many important things I need to do. I have trouble prioritizing.
- High-stakes decision-making bogs me down.
- I have a love-hate relationship with routines.
- I wish I could delegate but managing it all is overwhelming.
- No one can do it as well as I can.
- Time escapes me. I get into a zone then miss a deadline or meeting.
- I tend to make spontaneous choices then second-guess myself later.
- I need to make up for past failures.
- I think I may have ADHD. I know what I have to do, but I get stuck on how to get things done.
ADHD Coaching is a partnership that helps you live a more effective and satisfying life, by deepening your learning and improving your performance. You learn as much as you can about your unique relationship with ADHD, without it being overwhelming.
ADHD Coaching helps you to:
- Recognize that your challenges with ADHD are not personal shortcomings.
- Appreciate your strengths and transform your actions.
- Understand your own brain wiring.
- Change your perspective when you feel stuck.
- Learn new ways to work with procrastination, perfectionism and staying on task.
- Identify triggers to control your responses.
- Take charge to act instead of reacting.
- Develop new ways to improve your memory
- Prioritize, plan and act on what's most important to you.
- Deepen your self-awareness and look for options that lead to success.
Together we determine your strengths and challenges in the context of your life -- what you CAN do, rather than what you can't -- and design a game plan to get you to where you want to be.
The coaching process is individualized and focuses on action. You get clarity in choosing next steps to build new and productive habits that stick. We design systems and strategies that work best for you in maintaining lasting change. You get support that guides you in creating a a more fulfilling life with less stress and more joy.
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. – Mahatma Gandhi